Proudly off the beaten track, they’ve been pulling pints on this corner of Black Lion Lane off and on since 1871. A short walk from the river, the blasting through of the A4 along the line of the Talgarth Road in 1950 wrecked the ancient geography of this section of London, but St Peter’s Square has retained much of its charm and its houses are widely regarded to be some of the nicest in Chiswick. We like to imagine that when Chris Blackwell’s Island Records used to call St Peter’s Square home that many of its roster of musicians would have popped in for a quick ….
By the time it came into the hands of the present owners ten years ago The Carpenter’s Arms had long since stopped operating as a pub and had been stripped of all its original fixtures and fittings.
Referencing the past whilst neatly sidestepping the contrived or the pastiche we sought to embue the pub with the same modest, slightly scruffy, time loved feel it would have enjoyed in its heyday.
Unapologetically down at heel and back street in feel the Carpenter’s Arms offers honest food and bohemian conviviality. Inspired by London’s original coffee houses and taverns it’s interior is simple and understated: An open fire, pealing walls stained the colour of smoked kippers, mismatched chairs, a time worn and daily scrubbed floor, melamine and pine tables, painted settles the colour of a refreshing quart of Stout, QPR memorabilia and a ceiling painted an unapologetically Bloody Mary red all combine to create the feel of an old and much loved local.